Avocado is a unique fruit and a powerhouse of nutrients. Studies show they can have many beneficial health effects. We’re often told about how good avocados are and to include them regularly into our diet as part of a naturally healthy lifestyle. Find out several reasons we should be enjoying more avocado…
- Rich in Vitamins B6 and Folic Acid that can help to regulate homocysteine levels, it can promote a healthy heart. High levels of homocysteine are associated with an increased risk of heart disease. Avocado contains plenty of Vitamin B6 that can help the body to make antibodies, maintain normal nerve function and make hemoglobin – oxygen, in the red blood cells that’s carried to the tissues.
- Containing a rich source of Lutein, this carotenoid can help to protect against age-related macular degeneration and cataracts amongst other kinds of eye diseases. One study published in March 2008 in the Archives of Ophthalmology found that women with high dietary intakes of Lutein and Zeaxanthin had a 23% lowered risk of nuclear cataracts than women with low levels of carotenoids.
- Avocados are an excellent source of Beta-Sitosterol – the compound known to be highly effective in lowering blood cholesterol levels. When combined with monounsaturated fat and beta-sitosterol, both found in avocado, this can be powerful at reducing cholesterol.
- Avocado can provide protection against Stroke. This is due to the high level of folate present in avocado. Individuals eating a diet rich in folate have been found to experience a lower risk of stroke than those who didn’t include folate. Raw avocado contains around 30% of the recommended daily value of folate.
- Nourishes Skin. Due to avocado being a rich source of Vitamin C, E, along with monounsaturated fats, it can help with locking moisture into the skin. This is why avocado is often used in skin moisturising creams or body butters as it softens and smoothes skin from the inside out. Adding avocado to a face scrub or mashing it up and smoothing onto your face is a natural and chemical-free way to ensure your skin receives beneficial nutrients.
- Avocados may provide Cancer Protection. One study has shown that avocados can reduce the side effects of chemotherapy in human lymphocytes. While another study has indicated that avocado can inhibit the growth of prostate cancer cells. Although these studies were only done on isolated cancer cells and don’t necessarily apply to a living and breathing human, they do hold good promise.
- Avocado extract may protect against Arthritis Symptoms. Numerous studies have shown that avocado extract can reduce arthritis symptoms, especially related to arthritis of the bones or osteoarthritis. It therefore makes sense that including more avocados is a good idea for anyone wanting to improve arthritic symptoms.
For best results, try to eat 2 avocados on a daily basis. Slice them onto salads, stir-fries, soups, or add into smoothies for a super healthy and nutritious boost.